Therapeutic Massage Contraindications
What are the contraindications (conditions) that could prevent me from receiving massage therapy?
A contraindication is any indication or symptom that makes it inadvisable to use a particular therapy. Please call us at 206-729-6211 if you believe you have a contraindication. We will help clarify your situation and ensure that your next step is a solid one!
The following are contraindications for massage therapy. If any of these apply to you we are not able to treat you with massage therapy at the present time, unless you have a written prescription from an MD or ND showing supervision over our services for the contraindication.
Contraindications for Therapeutic Massage
For Belly Massage
- Aortic or abdominal aneurism.
- Active and metastasizing cancers of the GI (gastro intestinal) tract or reproductive system.
- Acute abdominal pain (please call us at 206-729-6211 to clarify) – It depends on what is causing the acute pain. We may encourage you to see an MD first.
- Abdominal surgery – Please call us to inquire about your situation as this does not apply to all surgeries: 206-729-6211. Massage is generally fine after the 6 week mark post surgery.
- Acute inflammatory conditions of the GI tract. Please call us to inquire about your situation as we can direct you towards supplementation that may possibly alleviate the pain and then start a massage treatment plan: 206-729-6211.
- Recent history of GI or rectal bleeding. Please call to discuss. For example, bleeding from hemorrhoids is not a problem.
- Hematuria (blood in urine) – Please call to discuss.
For Full body massage
- High fever
- Acute pain or acute inflammatory condition.
- Congestive heart failure / phlebitis or deep vein thrombosis / other severe vascular conditions
- Uncontrolled hypertension.
- History of – uncontrolled – seizures.
- Recent heart attack.
- Renal insufficiency.
- Epilepsy or psychoses
For massaging a specific region of the body
- Communicable skin diseases.
- Open wounds.
- Acute inflammation or acute pain in a specific region of the body. Please call to discuss.
If you have any of these contraindications you may still be eligible to receive massage once they have subsided or been eliminated. Until then please consider colon hydrotherapy and/or nutrition with issues related to digestion, constipation, abdominal pain, inflammation. If you are ever in question please call us at 206-729-6211.