By Christine Tanaka, MA, Certified Yoga Instructor
The days are getting longer and we naturally want to increase our vitality. Backbends are a great way to help in this process. Open your heart and move into the moment.
Inspiration – Moving gently out of your winter slumber. Awaken the snake!
• Increases Joy and opens the heart center
• Opens the rib cage, stimulates and detoxifies the kidneys and adrenals
• Expands the diaphragm and lung capacity.
- Lie face down on the floor or a mat. Take the legs hip width apart and point the toes back.
- Bend the elbows and place the hands on the floor under the shoulder with fingers facing forward. Bring your elbows to shoulder width apart.
- Contract the quadriceps and press the legs into the floor. Press the little toe side down and contract the buttocks.
- Inhale and press the hands into the floor and lift the torso. Lift the pit of the abdomen. Open the chest, and keep extending the front body while straightening the arms. Relax the head and the neck and drop the shoulder blades down the back.
- Stay in the pose for 5 breaths. Exhaling come out of the pose and rest your forehead on your hands. Repeat.