“Feel the love” is a common phrase that we use to promote compassion and connection. But what if you can’t feel the love? What if you’re literally tight in the chest, and anxiety and overwhelm detract from your ability to experience love and joy? This is more common than you might think. But have no fear, there are some really practical ways to address this issue in a heartfelt way!
1. REACH OUT with arms wide open to the world. Finger tips should stretch out to the horizon while your arms straighten out to the sides reaching and rotating outward. Feel this stretch at the rib connections to the chest bone. Allow your chest to expand out to the sides, making room for the felt experience of love in and around your heart.
2. BREATHE. The heart is snuggled up between the lungs and suspended by a membrane connection to the rib cage and diaphragm. Like any muscle, it functions better with a steady supply of oxygen and space to move. Breathing fully into your rib cage and also into your abdomen stretches out both the rib cage and diaphragm to allow for better circulation and movement of the heart. The heart muscle can thrive in this kind of open heart space and sticky membranes can become slippery and mobile again.
3. NOURISH your heart. Omega 3 Fatty Acids are the building blocks for a strong heart. Common sources are wild fish, pastured dairy products and meat, winter squash, certain peas and beans, and a variety of nuts and seeds. Building the quality of the blood is also important. Beets, leafy greens and pastured organ meat help with this task. Purify the blood with daily doses of Turmeric, Dandelion and Burdock herbs, apple cider vinegar and garlic. Healthy hearts are resilient to stress allowing you to feel more and feel better more quickly.
4. PRACTICE YOUR INNER SMILE. In Chinese Medicine a smile is medicine and specifically, an inner smile. Close your eyes and relax. Visualize yourself smiling back at yourself. Then proceed to smile at your heart while expressing feelings of gratitude for the work that it does. While you’re there move onto to other vital organs that might need some love. A smile a day keeps illness away; lightening the spirit and softening tension in the body.
5. CLAIM YOUR JOY! Focus on things that bring you joy, then let the joy in. Do steps 1-4 above and let the energy of your heart field grow. Yes, the heart has an energy field; detectable and measurable (www.heartmath.org). Every time you claim joy by engaging in things that make you happy, your intelligent heart field grows. The bonus reward for this effort is an increased awareness of what makes your heart feel safe and connected. With this awareness your heart can serve as a “joy antenna” that draws you to all things in alignment with your heart’s desires.
Tummy Templers practice from the heart. You feel it the minute you walk through the door. It’s a part of our culture and the culture we want to grow in our community.
As always, thank you for supporting Tummy Temple! We love you!